Skip to main content

Social Listening: Target



As everyone knows, Target is a place of joy and wonders. When you walk in for one thing, you magically walk out with 10!! No matter what, you always go back for more. Though the items can be quite pricy once all added up, we are blinded by the experience.

Target’s purpose, as stated in their news blog A Bullseye View, is “to help all families discover the joy of everyday life”. I find this beautiful how they are hoping to create a joyful experience for everyone once they step foot into their doors. They offer quality brands and products customers are wanting at affordable prices. I mean it is in their motto “Expect More. Pay Less.”.

I often go to Target just to look around at what they have. I will buy a coffee from the Starbucks in the store and just spends hours in there walking around. More times than not, I leave with a thing or two I did not go in for. It’s almost like you are put in a trance. When scouring Target’s social media platforms, I found that a lot of customers feel the same way.


On Twitter, Chelsea Miller shared how she enjoys times going to target with her son and then ending their night watching the show Peppa Pig together. Target wants their stores to be an experience for the whole family.

Carissa Taylor also shares on Twitter a similar experience most young women are experiencing: spending WAY too much time in target. I also catch myself doing this too often.

Target is very confident that they provide excellent service and create a joyful experience for their customers. They accomplish this by staying active on social media and responding promptly to not only negative comments but positive ones as well. They are really using it as a way to research what the customers is loving the most and interacting with the public.

When someone responds to a post of theirs with a negative comment, Target makes sure to provide clear steps on how to contact them for a resolution. This is a scarce thing to find in the social media world. There are only few companies that do this and even fewer that do it well. I believe that is why Target has very minimal negative feedback. 

There are even separate Instagram and TikTok accounts created by Target fans just to show how much they love Target. I found so many through social media sharing what they love and what isn’t worth your money. I’ll have to admit that I follow a few. On those accounts they often show you what’s new and available. 

I found it funny how Target isn’t doing a lot of marketing, but their fans are for them. When looking at Target’s instagram, there was more of a chill vibe with little to no advertising of their brands or products. They do it in a way that seems as though an average person is posting their day to day life.

Target not only sells numerous common products most other retailers do, but they also have their own brand mixed in throughout the store. Target has a recycled materials children’s apparel brand called “Cat & Jack” exclusively sold at their store and online. If your child has a tear in the clothing or they are too big, you can get an exchange for a new pair within year you bought them.

Though Target as a company takes pride in their services, sometimes individual stores don’t display the same values. Customer service seems to pose as a challenge for Target as it represents that service of the company as a whole. The only negative comments I found were sharing either how the shelves weren’t fully stocked or that the workers did not display appropriate conduct. I feel like since this is a common issue, this would be dealt with promptly and efficiently. Hopefully they incorporate some reinforcement and training if necessary.

Normally, I would have something to say about how a company responds to comments on their social media platforms, but I don’t have much for Target. I actually like how when there’s negative feedback, the Target representative responds with their name. It makes it more personal. The only thing I have to say is that they only provide DM’s as a way to communicate with a representative. I feel like there should be a specific platform or link the commenter could access for a quicker response to their problem.

Overall, I learned how it is important for company’s to stay active on social media in order to create the sense of relatability for the customers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bit About Me

Hey everyone!! My name is Vanessa Heffner and I am a 20 year-old college student majoring in Business Analytics. I chose Business Analytics because I enjoy the predictability of numbers am interested in how businesses function. As a kid I wanted to be a “firefighter-princess”, but I couldn’t find that in the degree options unfortunately. Being a daughter of a firefighter, that was one of the only careers I knew of at the time besides being a teacher like my mom.  My dad had actually mentioned to me that I should try marketing because it is a combination of my two worlds: numbers and art. Though I know it is definitely more than just those two things, I took his advice and enrolled in a marketing course. I have always been fascinated with the psychology behind ads since I was younger. I like to try and figure out who is the directed audience or if the company is being completely honest in their pitch. The art aspect and how they capture your attention is what drew me in the most, though

Marketing in the News: The Betty White Challenge

Betty White has always been an icon in the world and my household. Growing up we would watch Golden Girls and many of the movies she was in. I’ve always adored her spicy, yet caring spirit throughout her 99 years of life. Betty White was a huge pet lover and even hosted “Pets on Set”. It’s amazing how much she advocated for the safety and love for animals of all kinds. There's a challenge spreading throughout the country honoring Betty White and her dream to help animals. In MarketWatch’s article, they discuss the #BettyWhiteChallenge which is an amazing opportunity to honor Betty White’s legacy on what was supposed to be her 100th birthday. The challenge is to donate $5 to an animal shelter or organization in her name by this Monday (January 17th). Shelters across the country have already accrued so many donations with some totals as high as $25,000. Isn’t that incredible?  Not only are fans taking part by donating, but shelters themselves are taking this challenge to the next le